Disclaimer: The content of this article is solely for informational purposes and should not be considered medical advice. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise or training program.
Unlock the secret to impressive arms. Many fitness enthusiasts seeking to improve their arm size and appearance focus primarily on bicep exercises. However, the triceps make up approximately two-thirds of the upper arm, meaning that growing your triceps is essential for achieving impressive arms. In this article, we will provide a workout routine designed to target all three heads of the tricep – the lateral, medial, and long head – for complete tricep development.
Tricep Workout Routine
Perform the following exercises in order, resting for 60-90 seconds between sets. Complete 3-4 sets of each exercise, aiming for 8-12 repetitions per set.
- Close-Grip Bench Press: The close-grip bench press primarily targets the medial and lateral heads of the tricep while also engaging the long head. Focus on keeping your elbows close to your body and using a controlled motion throughout the exercise.
- Overhead Tricep Extension (with dumbbell or EZ-bar): The overhead tricep extension emphasizes the long head of the tricep. Choose a comfortable weight and ensure you maintain proper form, keeping your elbows stable and aligned throughout the movement.
- Weighted or Bodyweight Dips: Dips are a compound exercise that targets all three heads of the tricep, as well as the chest and shoulders. If you’re new to dips, start with bodyweight and progress to adding weight as your strength increases.
- Skull Crushers (with dumbbells or EZ-bar): Skull crushers are an isolation exercise that emphasizes the long head of the tricep. Focus on keeping your elbows in a fixed position and use a slow, controlled motion to lower and raise the weight.
- Cable Tricep Pushdown (with straight bar or V-bar attachment): Cable pushdowns primarily target the lateral head of the tricep, with the medial and long heads assisting the movement. Adjust the cable machine to a suitable weight and maintain proper form, with your elbows close to your body throughout the exercise.
- Cable Overhead Tricep Extension (with rope attachment): This exercise targets the long head of the tricep while also engaging the lateral and medial heads. Adjust the cable machine to a comfortable weight, and maintain a stable elbow position as you extend your arms overhead.
To achieve well-developed arms, it’s essential to focus on growing your triceps, as they make up the majority of the upper arm. By incorporating a variety of exercises targeting all three heads of the tricep, you can build size and strength for impressive arm development. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise or training program to ensure it’s suitable for your individual needs.